In this episode, we kick it with Owen Williams, most recognized for his previous work as an editor at The Next Web and maker of the well-regarded technology newsletter re:Charged. From his broad experience as a journalist and software engineer, we’re going to discuss his latest product launch, Write Together.
We cover a broad range of topics including:
- the evolution of content creation
- why it’s important to write every day
- PHP frameworks
- his super nifty Slack hack
- and much more
Receive these details with each episode delivered directly to your inbox, every week!
Vanmoof (2:45) – awesome futuristic smart bikes
Product Hunt (3:19) – a daily list of new products around the web
Ryan Hoover (11:47) – founder of Product Hunt
Medium (6:25) – a modern, social blogging platform
Github streaks (8:10) – a visual indicator of the frequency a developer commits code to a project
Lean Startup (12:30) – a product development methodology (and book) that focuses on rapid prototyping and constant product iteration with the goal to capture learnings cheap, fast, and often.
Laravel and their billing framework, Cashier (14:50)
Getstream (15:39) – out of the box social networking features, like news feeds and timelines.
Stripe (16:10) – credit card processor for internet products
Segment (16:11) – data analytics platform
Chart Mogul (16:17) – out of the box operations portal for SaaS businesses
Bear Metrics (16:27) – similar to Chart Mogul but a bit more robust and more expensive
Google’s Startup Program (16:43) – free cloud hosting!!
Sentry (17:15) – Error tracking, Owen integrates with Slack for alerts
Slack (17:16) – Owen routes all of his alerts into a Slack via their API, check out all slack integrations
MailChimp (23:00) – email distribution and marketing platform
Google Reader (23:16) – RIP
- How do you become a better writer? Well, you need to write. This is the premise of the Write Together product. Here’s a great article (and interesting story) about how consistent writing can provide meaningful benefits over time; it has over 20k claps on Medium. I specifically enjoyed the sections called “Be Prolific” and “Learn to Recognize Patterns.”
- Network effects (23:16) – in the product development world, this is a term that refers to features that incrementally get better (or provide greater value) the more they’re used. If you’re working on a product, this is a must-know concept. Here’s the perfect resource to learn all about network effects (check out the slide deck at the bottom).
Please keep in mind, this podcast and newsletter are for you ! So, please respond with feedback on how I could make them better.
It’s with tons of love that I ask you… if you find this interesting at all and want to support this project, please pass this along to a few friends by forwarding this email or text them a link to the podcast. Thank you and enjoy!
Available on your favorite podcast apps
Get the story directly from the Makers themselves. You can find the latest episodes on all of the top podcasting apps and platforms.